Thursday, December 21, 2006

THE E-LUV HONOURS LIST 2006

Despite today being one of the most hideous in living memory (had to sell car to pay the rent) , I present the much-anticipated round-up of 2006, honouring the year's best. I was going to post this a few days ago, but the internet has been down because someone drove a truck over a cable.




LADYBLOG OF THE YEAR

Non-working Monkey
. Never a dull post, as she covers a variety of topics including plaster knobs, insane garderners, twatty neighbours and avoiding work. Someone give her a book deal.

MANBLOG OF THE YEAR

Fwengibola's blog is magnificent. It's addictive and unflinchingly honest. Far better than those books which claim to give an insight into the workings of the male mind and end up doing no such thing. It is also VERY funny.

BOOK OF THE YEAR APART FROM E-LUV

The best thing I've read all year is The Mayor of Lexington Avenue by James Sheehan which would probably be categorised as a legal thriller, but it's much, much better than that. It was dead exciting and dragged me in completely.

TV OF THE YEAR

Truly, Madly, Deeply - a funny and moving documentary about a dating service for those who would never be allowed anywhere near a conventional dating agency. Runner up: Young@heart, where a choir of senior citizens covered songs by Sonic Youth, James Brown, and The Clash (or as one of the grannies called them, "Crash").

FILM OF THE YEAR

Kenny. Despite being Australian and therefore, inevitably packed with toilet gags, it somehow managed to be laugh-out-loud funny with the most endearing lead character I've seen in ages. He would be a great Trevor in e-luv: The Movie. As would the bloke who wrestled naked with Borat, in my second favourite film of the year.

CD OF THE YEAR

Was Saint Etienne's Tales from Turnpike House this year or last? I can't remember. If it was 2006, then it is this year's best. If it was 2005, I shall go for the Handsome Family's Last Days of Wonder for the words, voice and tunes.

SONG OF THE YEAR

Resisting the temptation to be willfully obscure, the winner is LDN by Lily Allen, because it makes me smile - even when hearing it for the 1000th time. I also liked Hypnotised by Aberfeldy, Kathryn Williams' fab version of Thirteen, My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion by Flaming Lips and Made up Love Song by the Guillemots.

BOOK IDEA OF THE YEAR

Go into a chatroom pretending to be a girl. Get blokes to say humiliating and incriminatory things. Put it out as a book. Dress as a woman for the cover. Wish I'd thought of it, but Biffo did and it comes out in 2007, through the fabulous Friday Books. I hate Biffo.

BEST E-LUV THING TO HAPPEN OF THE YEAR

Having e-luv in the window of Waterstone's in Edinburgh, alongside The Kite Runner. Truly my 15 minutes.

TWAT OF THE YEAR

The bloke who drove his truck over the cable.

PERSON OF THE YEAR

My wife, Liz. For putting up with yet another 12 months of promises that things will get better, without complaining. 2007 will be our year, I promise.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh get outta here *blush*

You the man, I am told.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I offer an extra category for your indulgence: Best music video surely being William Shatner's version of 'Rocket Man'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc2Y1IkJwCU

5:27 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

And I don't even appear!
Always in the audience, never up on the stage! The story of my life. And I had you in my *books that changed my life* section.

BTW - Your wife's a babe. I wish you lots of happiness in 2007 and a very Merry Christmas.
Cx

12:34 PM  
Blogger Dinah said...

Merry Christmas! I've got a feeling this years for, er, you and your wife. Truly - I do!

8:26 AM  
Blogger NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

I say! Liz, you are VERY FOXY and communicate just by your lovely existence that Dave Cannot Really Be Sad At All, and is probably quite nice and that.

Oh, and I reckon 2007 will be good.

And thanks for the vote. I am a bit embarrassed.

2:47 PM  
Blogger . said...

Excellent. First mention of my book in the wider world.

Plug-on, dear! Plug-on!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home