Sunday, January 07, 2007

The books I do not like to mention.


Around the time e-luv came out, several other books also appeared, covering roughly the same ground. I read a couple and they were rubbish, so I decided not to mention them, out of fear that the truth would come out - that I am bitter and resentful about them outselling e-luv. But now Cat (whose blog I recommend) has posted a review which names and shames them. Here is the relevent part, which makes her a certainty for future Person of the Week honours:

Back to the book. This is hardly an untouched topic. Indeed, over the last 12 months I have read a variety of books dealing with internet romance – Diaries of an Internet Lover, Dot.homme, Millions of Women are Waiting to Meet You and so on. None of them were brilliant, and all of them painted a rosy picture. Dave doesn’t. And this is where e-luv comes into its own amongst its competitors. The story is rife with disappointment, lies, deception and unpleasant characters preying on people’s insecurities. Which seems much closer to my own online adventures (now ceased) than any of the other books I read. It’s funny and entertaining with characters who seem real. The short sections mean it’s easy to pick up and put down – an ideal public transport novel.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dinah said...

I liked that it wasn't all sunshine and roses. I did see dot.homme while browsing in a bookstore the other day, but didn't really pay much notice. On the other hand, I sought out e-luv (my curiosity got the better of me): the Sudbury, Ontario Chapters bookstore (same company as Indigo) has two books, one of which is now facing prominently out into the aisle.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha!

And now I want very much to read e-luv, which up to now I have been resisting cos I already have such a backlog of books to read... but what the fuck. If I email you can I get a signed copy?

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home