Sunday, January 28, 2007

An Amazon embarrassment


There is an imminent catastrophe in my life. On Amazon, e-luv is in freefall, and was last seen hovering around the 230,000 mark. My friend Kevin had his book published 4 years ago - it was a collection of photos taken during Manchester City's last season at their old ground. As I was on Amazon, I decided to check what its ranking was - and to my horror discovered that it was in 239,000th place - closing in on e-luv. This is distressing on several counts:
1. Despite being a fabulous book, it DID come out 4 years ago. Most books have disappeared without trace after this time. Mine has been out 6 months and is already disappearing without trace.
2. He will waste no opportunity to let me know that his book is doing better than mine.
I beg of you - buy e-luv. Even if you've already bought it. Please.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have bought your book on Amazon! What do they know anyway? Maybe you should re-release it with a picture of Britney Spears half naked on the front and back; would that help d'ya think?

You're gonna need a sandwich board at this rate.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Timbo is sooo right.
It is sandwich board time ...

You do the naked sandwich board thing and I don't see how people could resist buying a copy.

And anyway - Amazon figures are rubbish. I bought my copies from Waterstones.

x

1:37 AM  
Blogger clare said...

And talking of Waterstone's, look at their Valentine's Day online promotion: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/campaignSearch.do?searchMode=1&searchType=13&cmp=07val&pageNumber=9

1:02 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Your Amazon figures today - 13,328 in Books! Quite a difference! Have you been using that sandwichboard and not telling me?????
And yes I have nothing else to do but check out e-luv on Amazon!

x

2:27 AM  
Blogger Ms Melancholy said...

I like your blog so I will do my bit and buy your book. And if it helps, I will buy it on Amazon too. Fellow bloggers unite...!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thank you, Ms Melancholy. You may have saved me from parading naked with a sandwich board.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Ms Melancholy said...

Have I? I'm sure that wasn't my intention...how about this: I will buy your book if you parade naked with sandwich board. Ok?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Ms M - that is not a sight you want to see.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home