Saturday, January 13, 2007

My MySpace fiasco


After all the recent unpleasantness it is good to return to the matter at hand - my startlingly inept attempts to promote e-luv. MySpace was the location of my latest efforts. The idea seemed simple. Invite loads of people to be my friend then inundate them with extracts, reviews and reasons to buy the book.
Problem Number one - I am a plump middle-aged man and most people who read e-luv tend to be in their teens to mid 20s. You can see the problem, can't you? Inviting teenage boys and girls to be by friend is met with suspicion, swiftly followed by rejection.
Problem Number two - My clever strategy of targeting people with an interest in internet dating or chatrooms wasn't at all clever. It has resulted in being stalked by an American woman (shown here) who describes herself as an " Internet Dating Coach" and is very keen for me to enroll on one of her courses.
Problem Number Three - I failed to take into account that these friendships are a two-way street. The price I pay for flooding these people's Inboxes with increasingly desperate pleas to buy my book is receiving increasingly desperate pleas to listen to their band/get free membership to their dating agency or..umm..read their book.
Number of enquiries about e-luv so far - zero.

6 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Not one of your better ideas then!

I still think that chaining yourself naked under an e-luv sandwich board, to Buckingham palace, is THE WAY forward.

Cx

9:24 AM  
Blogger Ms Melancholy said...

Mmmm, the moral of the tale: plump, middle-aged writers should not use technology designed for would-be promiscuous teenagers. Fab story! (and great blog, by the way x)

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a small garden shed and lock yourself inside it for a month. Maybe that will do the trick. Just brainstorming...

12:56 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I'll try that mext, Caroline.

Ms M - welcome and tahnks.

Dave - I have now bought the shed following your recommendation.

5:44 PM  
Blogger skillz said...

If you give me a free copy I'll use it as a murder weapon and papercut someone to death. BAM! free publicity!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Remember to post photos ;-)

x

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home